Do you find yourself not fully engaging in life due to a lack of motivation? Do you sometimes feel you're a just spectator and wish you could participate in the world around you more fully?
It is quite common for people to have desires or aspirations that go unfulfilled due to little or no self motivation. As this cycle continues it often erodes your own self confidence leaving you with a low self esteem. This is a dangerous cycle and a bad place to be in. The longer this continues the more it ends up stunting your own personal growth and this downward spiral just seems to continue on.
What we're going to address here today is how to identify the underlying culprits behind this lack of self motivation keeping you from living your life more fully. You can't correct what you can't identify therefore the first step will be recognizing what it is that holds you back.
As we identify 3 common areas that inhibit many people from achieving goals or finding personal happiness you may be surprise how easy it is to overcome these barriers.
Fear of Failure
Make no mistake about it having a desire does not mean you also have the confidence to pursue it. Sadly it is all too common for many to desire something but then convince themselves they can't fulfill it BEFORE they even try to. One big reason this occurs is the natural inclination to have a fear of failure.
All our lives we've been taught and it is continually being reinforced that failing at anything is NOT GOOD. As a result of this learned behavior we naturally avoid any new challenges that may result in an outcome that is less then successful.
This fear of failure is wrong since one of the best ways to learn ANYTHING is thru trial and ERROR, that's right ERROR! Without experiencing mistakes and learning from them we limit not only our personal experiences but also our personal growth.
Fear of Commitment
Another common factor that holds people back from pursuing certain desires or goals is making the commitment to undertake this pursuit. This fear of commitment once broken down is quite easy to understand.
Any new endeavor we might consider pursuing is naturally something we're unfamiliar with since it is 'new' to us. Well if we're 'unfamiliar' with something that means we may not be 'comfortable' with it.
Being uncomfortable with something is usually not a desirable or fun experience therefore it is avoided.
If your anticipation of any endeavor is fun and excitement you're likely to pursue it enthusiastically. If you're unfamiliar and therefore uncomfortable your anticipation may be one of dread. As a result this may hold you back from engaging in it.
Familiarity is only gained thru 'experience' and often times the FIRST STEP towards partaking in that 'experience' is the hardest.
Lack the Proper Skill Sets
Although unfamiliarity is again a factor here, the reasons for it are more tangible then the 'inner fears' we have just discussed. The lack of certain skill sets can be more easily identified and addressed thru training or coaching. As a result these types of limitations can be more easily overcome but still remains a factor that could hold people back.
As we've discovered your lack of motivation often stems from little or no self confidence in your knowledge and/or experience. This can be overcome by learning a little bit more about what it is you want to pursue. Nobody starts out an expert, it is a learned experience! Quite naturally we fear what we don't know but once we gain familiarity with the unknown our fears subside and our confidence and comfort level grows. This allows us to more fully engage in the world around us breaking through the barriers that often hold us back.
Instead of it being about how to motivate the employees, with the emphasis on the manager, it could be looked at as: How can a manager induce self-motivation in their employees?
1. Your Employees are Individuals: Every person that is under your employment is an individual. They are people that have different interests, different tastes, and they each bring different talents to your company. This means that they must be respected and let flourish in their own way. Knowing the employee as an individual is as important as understanding that they each bring a unique quality to your company.
2. Open Communication through Feedback: It is important in any business that a manager keeps an open level of communication. This is easily done by offering regular feedback. By having an open forum to discuss employee progress the manager lets their employee know that communication is essential.
3. Award Productivity: Once a manager understands that their employees are individuals, it is also important for a manager to understand what motivates the individual employee. Sometimes employees are motivated by money, and offering money as an award may motivate that type of employee. Other employees may be motivated by different things. Understanding this and using an award system that initiates motivation can be an asset within any company.
4. Progressive Training: A big part of your company is having employees that are well trained. Employees respond to this because it allows them to gain another skill set that will further their career. Progressive training sessions not only strengthen the employee, they also strengthen your business.
5. Company's Vision: Another important aspect of running a productive company with motivated employees is making sure that the employees understand company goals and desired result. The company must be clear in its vision, and commutative in its explanation of that vision. It is no use having the foresight of a business model if your employees do not understand. Results are based upon the employee's knowledge of what the employer expects. They will be motivated to get results if they know what kind of results your company is looking for.
6. Let the Motivation Set In: Providing new methods or different perspective to employees may take a while to set in. Don't expect results right off the bat! Like a flower that grows from a seed, these things take time. Just make sure you plant that seed and keep it nourished!
All of these things take time, and remember that the onus to find ways to increase self-motivation falls on the manager. Motivation itself will be displayed through the Employee. A serious and respectable manager will take his time and asses his employees, get to know them as individuals and play to their strengths. An important part of being a manager is utilizing these techniques and being aware of how self-motivation will help individual employees.
Looking for guaranteed success in life? You must trust the motivational theory. Learn this theory, trust it and apply it. You will definitely see a difference. There will be a positive energy development in you that would ultimately drive you to your destination. You will be more optimistic and happy to undertake your task. An enhancement of self esteem and confidence in you is also a result of following the motivational theory.
Human aspirations for self-motivation and personal development
Every human being irrespective of sex, age, occupation, race, and language feel the necessity to do something for their personal development. They discuss with their friends, relatives, and colleagues about “ways to motivate yourself “techniques. A large number of them buy “self help improvement and motivational “books. The reason is everyone is searching for ways and means to uplift oneself from one level of existence to another next level of better existence.
Motivational and inspirational books – Will they help us?
You might tend to ask, Will all these “motivational and inspirational “ books available out in the market will help me to convert my life into a positive life? One answer is “yes” and another answer is “no”. Motivating yourself does not mean simply buying a book, reading it and putting it aside. Many people who buy self-help improvement books simply read them fastly and put them aside and than they will complain, it was a waste of money. It is quite natural that the book they have bought has not helped them. Mere possession of any number of books will never help anybody to accomplish anything. It is the assimilation of ideas and putting them into practice with your whole heart and mind, which will really help them to accomplish whatever they wanted to accomplish. Books are nothing but storehouse of knowledge, and unless you study books with concentration, understand what the author is teaching, and put it into practice assiduously you cannot dream about enjoying any benefits because of possessing the book. If merely possessing a book will make you successful than librarians will be the most successful persons on this earth. Once you buy a book allot a particular time of the day for the study of the book, if you had studied the book for fifteen minutes than please over what you have studied for another fifteen minutes. Than make it a point that you are conscientiously putting into practice what you have learnt. No delays in putting into practice what you have learnt. If you think I will start practicing from tomorrow, I assure you will be never practicing. It is instant action, which you need. Preparing a goal setting worksheet will be a great help in this matter. Continuous practice will help you to sustain positive thoughts, which will help you to become a winner.
Out in the market a large number of self-help books are available. You can easily buy them are you can borrow them from a library, but they will not be of any benefit if you are not bothered to put into practice what you studied in the book. So once again I am telling you, please put into practice what you have learnt from the book into your day-to-day living and very soon, you will realize that you are blossoming into a new person, a more successful person.